Thursday, February 11, 2010

My Techniques

We've reviewed plenty of techniques and types of cinematography thus far in my film class and the ones that appeal most to me are those having to do with camera shots. I enjoyed playing with transitions and visual effects in our project in which we had to put 20 short clips together to convey two words, but I would have much rather been the one filming the clips. A few techniques I can see my group using in our film project later in the semester are the rule of thirds, the strategic use of wide and medium shots as well as close ups and also unique camera angles that convey the mood of the scene.



I've never put my mind into the game of film making before. I always knew it was complex and artistic, I just didn't realize how fun it is. The simple use of a fade to white transition clearly conveys a flashback, cross-cutting is super fun to play with and trying to be suddel with a point I'm trying to get across as a film maker is like a fun mind game. It's cool because I have to be the creator as well as the audience at the same time. Whenever my group decides on a story, one of the first things we will have to do is decide what mood we want to come out of each scene, and then each shot. Working from big to small to very small is what makes a masterpiece.

I've been assigned to be the camera operator and the director in my group for the movie project later this semester. I'm actually most excited to be the camera man. I think it will be so interesting to connect the camera shots with the dialogue or mood of the scene. It will be fun to play with some focus effects as well. I love scenes with a unique depth of field, like the scene in Singing in the Rain when the woman with the long cloth is dancing. It's never just point and shoot. There's always a strategy behind every shot. If we're doing a scene with a simple conversation, I will watch a similar scene in a movie for a point of reference, then make mine better. If someone has to be running, I'll see how it's been done before, and make it my own.

I'm really glad I have this class to balance out my Chemistry II, Biology II and Physics II. I know, hectic right? I haven't been this excited about a class in a long time. In previous classes we've always planned to do a movie but never had time to pull it off, but I know in this class we can do it. I'm really gonna take pride in this. Come final day, people will be impressed. With the amazing editing of Cameron, the illustrous sounds by Kim and the acting/camera help of Erin, a cinematic miracle will happen! It's really gonna be so cool to watch a movie that we've made and be able to identify techniques that we've used. I feel so much wiser. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Great ambition, and I like the way you're thinking about your job. Keep it simple, but make sure there's intention behind everything you do.

    ReplyDelete